Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nike Knew

I read an interview with an actress in which she was asked how she stayed in shape.  She said she ran three miles everyday.  When she was asked how she stayed so disciplined, she replied that she didn't think about it - she just did it.  It reminded me of Nike's tagline "Just Do It."  I've decided to make that my own mantra in my life.

I'm one of those people that thinks too much.  I think about everything, analyze everything, and plan everything.  I think this can be a good thing, but it can also be pretty paralyzing sometimes.  The more I think about something, the bigger it can become.  If I think about a task I need to accomplish that isn't exactly pleasant, I think about it and think about it, and end up putting it off.  It becomes a form of procrastination.  I build it up so much in my time that I think it will take forever and be so hard.

When I eventually make myself do whatever it is I've been avoiding, it's rarely as difficult as I've made it out to be.  Usually it takes half the time I anticipated, and sometimes it's even enjoyable.  I often end up wondering why I thought it would be so hard.  I'm writing this blog to remind myself of this, and to maybe encourage anyone else who behaves the same way.  Rarely are things as hard as I make them out to be.  And I'm actually stronger and more capable than I think!  What do you know?

I had a pretty stressful summer.  When I think about it, I wonder how on earth I made it through.  I moved four times, got married, relocated to a new city, and lost my grandfather.  All the while, I was in the midst of my busiest season at work.  But I didn't really stop to think about it all.  I didn't really have time.  I went into auto-pilot.  I knew what had to get done and I did it.  Sam and I both talked about how we couldn't stop to think about how hard something was - we just had to do it.  And I want to be sure I keep doing that.  Really, my strength comes from God.  And I know without a doubt that He will provide me with strength when I need it.  Those times when I look back wondering how I made it through that hard time in my life?  Those are the times I know God was really doing His thing, carrying me along the way.


So there it is people, just do it.  Don't think about it; just do it.  It won't be that bad, you need to do it anyway, and you'll feel so much better once it's done.  By the way, I'm really talking to myself here.  And all of you are authorized to give me a swift kick when you notice me "thinking" instead of "doing".  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...