Wednesday, February 2, 2011

3 Days In

Okay we've got to be short tonight, since I have a lot of reading to do.  (You'd think this would make me sad, but it doesn't.  I get to read Moby Dick, and books about how to be a better writer - this is fun!)  But I did want to share a few things.

First of all, it's so weird having to listen for my name to be called sooner.  As a "W" you know you have a long way to wait during roll call.  "S" comes earlier...not by a whole lot, but enough to make me notice and feel weird that I'm not at the end.

Second, being an English major is awesome.  It's so cool even to be in classes with other people who think the way I do about reading and writing!  And some of my peers are just plain brilliant.  I look forward to learning from them, and being inspired by them.  My professors are equally awesome.  My advanced composition class counts as an elective for my major, but also counts for the writing test that every student, regardless of major, must pass.  So there are a lot of non-English majors in that class.  As our instructor explained that he understood no one was taking the class out of sheer passion for writing essays, I nearly corrected him.  Um yes, sir, I do want to learn how to write better essays and am excited about it.

That's all we have time for today, class!  Although sometime soon (this weekend perhaps?) I would like to write about my lost confidence as a student...and maybe figure out how to get it back.  But for now, happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. Love the enthusiasm! Wish I could be right there with you! I will be teaching myself all these wonderful things about English, so any notes you have I would love to borrow! =) And I didn't even think about role all - I will have to wait until "R" comes, when I'm used to "C" (it's been a year and a half I've been an "R"...but I still think it takes getting used to!)...so fun! And I would love to debrief your lost confidence as a student (which you should definitely get it back! You are much smarter than me!), because I felt the same way just applying for school - why do we do this to ourselves? Love you always...happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was an English major... so I relied on her red pen to fix my essays before I turned them in so they were presentable. Enjoy your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are in classes that you are truly passionate about!! I can't wait to read your first published story ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...