Wednesday, March 2, 2011

BreeLeeGeneva

It's been too long since I've written an ode to a friend, and tonight's featured friend deserves quite the honor.  I don't remember meeting Bree, but I have a picture of us at my 4th birthday party, so I'm pretty sure we've known each other awhile.  We grew up in church together, and then in high school we did everything together...I mean, literally, everything.  We joined water polo at the same time, and then swimming, and then subsequently quit both (together).  I joined dance with her when I was sixteen and she worked extra hours with me so that I'd look like I'd been dancing since childhood.  We were both in band (she played the clarinet, I played the alto sax) so we enjoyed band trips to the Grand Canyon, Florida, and Disneyland.  We made many a crazy movie (All-Purpose Boxes is a classic) and tp'd many a house.  I'm sure my high school days would have been much more boring without Bree around.

Fast-forward seven years, and I convinced Bree to move to Santa Rosa with me.  She and I shared an apartment and a bedroom and laughed like crazy every night.  I won't go into details, but poor Bree was a good sport for my obnoxious practical jokes.  (Let's just say she's pretty blind when she doesn't have her contacts or glasses, and I took advantage of that a few times.)  She graciously cooked me amazing dinners, watched the Godfather with me, ate popcorn (lots of popcorn) and made a mean pomegranate martini.  I really miss her.

Bree is one of the most fun people I know.  She willingly joins in with whatever ridiculous thing I happen to think is a good idea, without hesitation.  Jump on our beds to Mariah Carey's Christmas music?  Why not?  Speak in British accents for days after watching The Holiday?  Of course.  Blast "My Girls" on itunes whilst dancing around our apartment and singing at the top of our lungs?  Did it.  I love it that whatever random thought pops into my head is totally acceptable to Bree.  She'll laugh at me, sure, but she encourages me to be the ridiculous person I am (and usually joins right in with the nonsense).  In fact, that's another reason I really admire her.  She's the type of person that makes you like yourself more.  She's so uplifting, so inspiring, that she sets people at ease and makes them feel comfortable with who they are.  There's no need to pretend to be someone I'm not with Bree, or to doubt myself.  She's so accepting that I can be brutally honest and I know she'll still love me.

Bree is totally and completely devoted to God, and encourages those around her to be as well.  Her relationship with God permeates everything she does.  I really want to be more like her in that area, to focus on others and on how I can show them God's love.  Though we laugh a lot when we're together, I also know I can be serious with her about my struggles.  She's an amazing listener and always gives great advice, never judging, always strengthening.

Bree will be moving to Seattle soon (she won't accept mine and Sam's offer to move in with us, silly girl), and I'm thrilled for her!  Yes, I selfishly wish she'd move back to Sonoma County, but at the same time I am so excited for her and the journey she's about to set out on.  It's yet another thing I admire about Bree - her adventurous spirit, and the willingness to step out of her comfort zone.  Seattle's a lucky city, and I think she'll fit in perfectly there.  The only city that might be a better fit would be Paris, since Bree is the epitome of class and sophistication.  (She's also teaching herself French, just so she's ready whenever she does end up moving there.)

I feel so blessed to have Bree's friendship, and to have spent so many years making amazing memories.  Poor thing is stuck with me - I won't let her stop being my friend, no matter how far away she moves! :)  I've attached our favorite song to dance together to, as well as a picture wearing ugly Christmas sweaters, and enjoying tea at The Palace in San Francisco.  So many great memories, Breelee!


1 comment:

  1. I LOVVVVVVE THIS! i love the shout out to all purpose boxes and i love that you love bree because although i did not participate in many of these activities, i agree with all the things you said about breelee! good job kim! and you are LOVED breezy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...