Thursday, April 7, 2011

Contentment: A Preview

I meant to head to school early so I could work out at the gym before class.  Then I picked up my copy of A Year with C. S. Lewis, (Christmas present from my father-in-law) and was so moved by today's entry that I had to stop and write about it.

You see, lately I've struggled a bit with contentment.  I know it's rare for people to not be content with their lives these days (I hardly ever hear about people wanting more...everyone is generally quite satisfied, right?), but just in case there is one other person out there who feels this way, I thought I should blog.  (Did I use too much sarcasm there?  My apologies.)

As I was saying...I want to be honest about the things I need work on because I want people to know I'm not perfect.  I'd hate for my blog to just be about all the cool things I do, or what a great cook I am (ha!), or how my life is totally together.  That just seems phony, and how does it help anyone?  My blog is for all of you out there who aren't perfect, in hopes that you won't feel so bad about yourself after reading about how messed up I am. :)  So there you go.  If you've ever struggled with discontentment, you're not alone!  There, doesn't that feel better?

Having said that, I know it isn't right to feel this way.  God specifically tells us not to be discontent.  So I have to go to class soon, but I wanted to give a little taste of what's been floating around in my brain lately, and share with you this wonderful bit of goodness from my friend Clive:

"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak.  We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea.  We are far too easily pleased."

Ahhhhh...thanks, Clive.  That was originally published in The Weight of Glory, but my little excerpt was printed in A Year with C.S. Lewis under today's date, April 7th.  (Speaking of today's date, I've been married now for 8 months.  Yay love.)

Okay, off to class.  More on contentment later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...