Monday, April 18, 2011

What to do on a rainy day like today...

It rained all day.  All I wanted to do was stay home and watch movies while I knitted a baby blanket for my soon-to-be-born nephew.  But instead I chased kids and wiped snot and changed diapers.  At work.  And you people wonder why I have no interest in having kids? ;)

As I mentioned in my last post, I made Sam watch The Graduate with me the other night.  I developed a love for this movie when I took my favorite-ever college class that combined two of my favorite things - Music and Film.  We studied the relationship between historical moments in film and their musical counterparts - for example, the infamous Psycho shower scene and the very-memorable creepy music that goes along with it.  (That was my least favorite movie to study, and even though we just watched parts of it, I convinced Kristy to let me sleep in her room so that I wouldn't be alone...and I had a very difficult time showering for a month.)

In class I learned that Simon & Garfunkel wrote all original songs for this film, in effect creating one of the most amazing soundtracks ever.  (Sidenote: I love Simon & Garfunkel.  For the father-daughter dance at my wedding, I chose Bridge Over Troubled Water, since my dad is also a fan.  I'm also trying to convince Sam to start a band with me where we just cover Simon & Garfunkel songs.)  When I first watched The Graduate six years ago, I wanted to look like Elaine when I was a bride...
     

    ...I didn't.  All because I stupidly cut my hair a month before I got engaged because I was convinced Sam was never going to propose.  But I digress...

    In my class I was introduced to the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movies of all time.  I decided to try and watch all of them, and I'm still slowly making my way through.  So far I've seen Casablanca (my favorite), The Godfather (I & II, both are on the list and I love them so much that I own them...and I have a huge crush on Al Pacino in these movies), Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, The Graduate, On the Waterfront (Marlon Brando when he was a cutie!), Schindler's List, Singin' in the Rain, It's a Wonderful Life, Sunset Boulevard, Star Wars, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, E.T., Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, High Noon (great classic western!), The Best Years of Our Lives, Doctor Zhivago (my sister Kristy looks just like Julie Christie in this), West Side Story, A Streetcar Named Desire, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Amadeus, The Sound of Music, Fantasia, Rebel Without a Cause, Vertigo, Forrest Gump, Ben-Hur, Wuthering Heights, and My Fair Lady.  The ones I've decided I'll never watch because they're creepy or scary are Frankenstein, The Silence of the Lambs, Jaws, and, of course, Psycho.

    Watching these has been one of my favorite things to do over the years.  Sometimes I go months without crossing any off the list, but whenever I do I'm always reminded of why I love it.  That's why I thought I'd blog about it.  I realize this may be completely boring for a lot of you, but for those of you who like films as much as I do (or if you just happen to be looking for a good movie to watch), I highly recommend checking out AFI's list here

    And, to be even more nerdy, try to pay attention to the musical score and see how it affects the mood and tone of the movie.  And then try to write a musical score for your own life!  Okay, maybe I'm the only one who's that lame...

    ...But I'm thinkin' songs from Singin' in the Rain would be fitting today.

    ;)

    1 comment:

    1. This list is super helpful for my Netflix account. I appreciate it!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...