Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kids and Kitties

Seven months ago I walked into a school for kids with special needs.  Most have severe autism.  Never having worked with kids on this spectrum before, I was totally overwhelmed and intimidated and had no idea what to do.

Today was my last day there, and I was sad to say goodbye.  Over the past few months I finally felt like I knew what I was doing with the students (since all of them are very different and respond better to different techniques), and they knew me, too.  It was fun to walk into the OT room and have Ryen smile at me.  One of my favorite parts of my day was getting a big wink and a smile from Tosh, along with a, "Oh hey, Kim," followed by a low, "Phone," in which he expected me to hand my phone over so he could watch videos of himself singing.  No, I won't miss getting hit, bit, or changing diapers.  But I'll miss Nicasio's adorable squeaks and chin slapping, Sarah's, "Friends coming?" and Will's high tens.  I'll miss all the hilarious things they do and say, and I'll miss their hugs.  These kids are seriously some of the coolest people I've been around, and I really feel blessed having had the opportunity to know them.  It was awesome that my job was to hang out with them.

My kitties seemed to know I needed some extra love today, so they both cuddled up next to me while I took a nap.

It's hard to see, but Morty actually curled his head up in my hand, which was lying face up.  :)


I feel like I could go on and on about my job, about the kids, and about how much I learned from them.  I have tons of hilarious stories, for anyone who is interested, but I feel like I sound like I'm bragging when I talk about it.  And I don't want to do that.  So if you really want to know more, ask me; though I must warn you it will be hard to get me to shut up.  :)

But for now - goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...