Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rain or Shine

I am definitely a California girl.  I love the sunshine.  I grew up in the water and wonder sometimes if I'm part fish.  I'm also starting to believe that I'm solar-powered.  I'm pretty sure I'm much cooler and funnier when the sun is shining and it's hot outside.  That's why in the winter I'm such a boring loser.

But I'm moving to Oregon soon.  I know Oregon isn't all clouds and rain...but I know it's a lot more of that stuff than I'm used to.  I want to learn to be okay with the rain, to even start to like it.  As I consider this, I also realize I want to be okay with the figurative "rain" in life.  When things seem like they just keep falling around me, when the storm seems to be never-ending, I want to buy some rain boots and go splashing around in puddles.  I want to accept everything that comes along, even if it means I don't see sunshine for a long time.

Here's a passage from Streams in the Desert that I found particularly fitting:

Is it raining, little flower?
  Be glad of rain;
Too much sun would wither one;
  It will shine again.
The clouds are very dark, it's true;
But just behind them shines the blue.

Are you weary, tender heart?
  Be glad of pain.
In sorrow, sweetest virtues grow,
  As flowers in rain.
God watches, and you will have sun,
When clouds their perfect work have done.
-Lucy Larcom

So there's my go-to poem for when I'm tired of gray skies and clouds.  Hopefully it will remind me to look at rain as something that is necessary for me to grow.

But I still like the sun.  And I warned Sam that we will be vacationing in sunny, sunny places.  And maybe my next tattoo will be a little sun.

:)

6 comments:

  1. Okay, you absolutely must get some froggy rain boots to match Ashley Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becca's comment lol and I also think you should read "Hinds Feet on High Places" your name is Acceptance with Joy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we can be boring losers together. i can't tell you how pumped i am to have you guys here. however, i have to admit...after almost 10 years of living here...i still don't like the rain. BOO. But it does make those sunny days oh so sweet! see you in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowww that's a great poem! Beautiful! You should get it tattooed down your side. ;) And Oregon is great; it's not depressing rain, it's like... serene, beautifying rain. I don't know how to describe it. While it is more common, it seems to also be more gentle and purifying. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes when it's raining (erm, like right now - boo!) I just have to keep repeating to myself - the rain is the reason everything is so gorgeous here... and it really is! Can't wait until you move here! If you need anyone to be a fish with, I'm your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my all-time favorite songs is "When I think about Angels" by Jamie O'Neal where the chorus goes:

    When I think about rain
    I think about singing
    When I think about singing
    It's a heavenly tune
    When I think about heaven then
    I think about angels
    When I think about angels
    I think about you

    It reminds me of the positive of rain and how it can be so romantic and freeing. Maybe on those rainy days your coffee needs to be extra warm and your kisses to Samuel extra sweet and your snuggles with your cats extra long. I remember once I needed actual rain in my life, I needed to slow down and refocus my perspective and on this day everyone was bitter it was raining, but I was overjoyed because God brought the rain just for my soul...it felt like God made a day that was just for me, and I will always remember that feeling.

    And I would love to vacation with you to those sunny, sunny places! =) I'm gonna miss the sunshine you bring to Cali though...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...