Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hanging out with the hubs

Sam and I got our shiny new Oregon licenses in the mail yesterday, complete with our new address.  That meant one thing - we could get our library cards!  Since Sam had the day off, that's what we did.  I had no idea what a happening place the library is in our sweet town!  I've decided I'll spend a lot of time there, because let's face it, can we ever read enough books?

My first check-out was Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.  It's really hard for me to pick my favorite play/musical, and I don't know that I would say Les Mis is my favorite...but I hold it the closest to my heart.  My dad took my sisters and I to see the live version when I was eleven, after I listened to the soundtrack over and over and over.  That was when I first started dreaming of playing Eponine on Broadway.  (Still a dream...and no, I will not let that one go.)  I saw it again when I was sixteen.  The NBTC surprised Marci with a trip to see it in Bakersfield for her sixteenth birthday, complete with a limo ride all the way there and back and goodie bars for the ride home, made by yours truly.  (Heyyy mister!!! Hello to you!!!  Sorry, that's what we yelled out the limo to passers-by...back to Les Mis...)

My dear sweet husband, though a fan of musical theater himself (and a past performer - Nathan Detroit, anyone?), has never seen this glorious play.  Fortunately, it's playing soon in Portland, and yes, we are going.  It just so happens to be playing the same weekend as our anniversary and I got a birthday check when we were trying to decide whether or not we should go.  Obvious choice?  Go.

The due date for this 1260-page book is August 16th, which means I have to read 60 pages a day to finish it in time.  Doable?  Maybe, if I don't get distracted by other books.  I originally wanted to finish it by the time we see the play, which would mean I need to read over a hundred pages a day.  I told Sam I could do it.  He said I can't.  He also said we're not naming any future daughters Cosette or Eponine.  The bully.

And finally, on a completely unrelated note, it's always a good idea to clip a kitty's nails before giving kitty a bath.  File that under "Obvious things I learned the hard way".

And now we swim, since it's sunny and we can.  I like when the cute man has days off.

3 comments:

  1. YAY for days off! =) Glad you got a library card and got to spend time with Samuel! Can you believe I have never seen Les Mis either? It is on the "to do immediately and as soon as possible" list!

    Glad you got to see it twice! And bummed that I missed your second time around...that can be added to my list of learning the hard way...

    Miss you too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missing the second time was also my fault, dearest. We all learn our lessons. :) Come see it in Portland!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...