Monday, July 11, 2011

Welcome, 26!

I'm sitting here in a Starbucks in Salem, Oregon.  Yep, Salem!  And I'm enjoying a particularly yummy grande nonfat no water chai latte, a birthday treat.  Oh yes, today is my birthday.  TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

It's funny because I started my birthday last year in a similar fashion - sitting and writing alone at Starbucks.  Last year the reason was that I had to work (yuck, so thankful that's not the case this year!) and Sam was living hundreds of miles away.  This year it's because we just moved two days ago and don't have internet in our home yet.  (Thank you, Starbucks, for providing free wifi.)  Also, Sam had to meet with his new boss for an hour, so he dropped me off.  I am perfectly happy with this new tradition I've started - nothing wrong with a warm drink, writing, and some alone time to process my random thoughts about getting older.  But I must admit, it is not nearly as special as the tradition I grew up with; every morning on my birthday my dad would take me and Joni out to breakfast.  Since we shared a birthday, we traded off who got to pick the restaurant each year.  (I think that on most of my younger birthdays I picked McDonald's.)  Also, my mom would take me out to Baskin Robbin's for the complimentary ice cream.  (We'll see if I can get Sam to oblige in the frozen dessert area.)

I was certain that I would wake up today with some sort of feeling of dread.  After all, I'm twenty-six now - I think I'm supposed to be sad that I'm getting older, right?  But I'm not!  I'm very happy with my life.  I feel immensely blessed, and I have no reason to focus on the bad things.  A year ago I never would have guessed that I would be living in Oregon, but here I am.  It makes me wonder where I'll be a year from today?  Who knows.  All I know is that I want to enjoy this moment, this day, and only think about all the reasons I'm thankful.  I've realized I only get happier and more content as the years pass.  Life definitely gets harder, and I experience things I never would have been able to handle in my younger years, but God faithfully provides the strength and peace I need to keep going.  So though it's harder, it's also sweeter.  I welcome this birthday, and any future birthdays I am blessed with.

Speaking of birthdays, I gotta shout out to this special birthday girl:

That's Joni & me on our birthday three years ago, when we went to Disneyland.  Here's a picture of us on our trip to Boston two years ago, which we took at the end of our birthday month:


Love you, Misch!  Hope you have a very special birthday today, your last as a Wuth!

Well, the hubs is done with his meeting, so my time at Starbucks must draw to a close.  Once we have internet at home I'll tell you all about the big move, since I'm sure you're just on the edge of your seat wondering how it went.  (Please note sarcasm.)  Until then, I'll enjoy a happy birthday, and you enjoy a happy July 11th, since it's the best day of the year!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday Sweetie! I'm so happy you live in Oregon now - when you're all settled in, let's make plans to get together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...