Sunday, August 7, 2011

Happy year, cute face.

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes.  How do you measure a year...

of marriage?

In times you moved?  (Four.)  In starting new jobs?  (Six.)  In ridiculous moments of bickering?  (Too many.)  In how many kitties you adopted?  (Two.)  In the pain of losing a sister and friend far too soon?  (Deeper than can be expressed.) 

Or in how much deeper your love has grown, and how on some days, you discover you have even more of a crush on him than when you first started dating?

I want to measure in the good things.  I can't believe it's been a year since I've been Sam's wife, and how much I've learned about him, myself, and agape love.  Things may not always be easy (as evidenced by our past year), and both of us continue to evolve as human beings.  We may not always share the same interests, he may always be annoyed by my thinking the kitties are being mistreated, and I may stop laughing at the jokes he repeats.  But regardless of our circumstances, we are committed to love.  As our wedding programs stated, "It is not your love that sustains the marriage, but from now on, the marriage that sustains your love."  Dear husband, though it's only been a year, I again promise to keep loving you, through the ebbs and flows of life.  When life is hard and feelings fade, commitment remains.

I know lots of people have difficult circumstances in life during their first year of marriage, and it would be naive to think that Sam and I are alone in all that we dealt with.  People get laid off, stressful life situations happen, family tragedies occur.  But I want to say cheers to the couples who get a heavy dose of real life in their first year, the couples who wake up from their fairy tales early.  The way I see it, things can only get easier from here.  We've made it through this, without the advantage of time and knowledge that comes with being married for years and years, so I'm confident we'll be able to handle whatever else life throws our way.  (Though life, it would be nice if you threw us some easier times for a bit, thanks.)  :)

 And, because I love pictures and I particularly loved my wedding pictures (thank you Hollie Chandler!), I will end this post with some of my favorite shots of this true love of mine and me, taken one year ago today.  There are a lot...sorry.  But who doesn't love good wedding pictures?


 My ring was Sam's great-grandmother's.  And I love it.


 Um...our favorite pictures look like the above photo...







Isn't he handsome?!





Hello, Petaluma.




Either we weren't ready or Hollie said something wildly offensive...most likely the latter.



What a cute face!!!  That's where his nickname comes from, obviously.



And of course we love our awesome wedding party that supported us through it all.


We're married.  And I am blessed.  Love you, cute face.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! I probably did say something offensive in that picture! Happy Anniversary!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Beautiful couple. Beautiful marriage. Happy 1st Anniversary, Kimmy (and Sam)! Love and prayers for many more years together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary Kimberlina! I love you and hope your second year of marriage totally rocks!

    p.s. Thank you for the book Bittersweet. I just started reading it and flew through 100 pages without stopping. It's really good. At times I feel like I am reading my own thoughts and feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, people. :) and carissa, i'm glad you like the book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...