Saturday, September 10, 2011

Oh hello, delicious!

Here's my disclaimer:  I am not a cook.  This blog will not regularly feature recipes because I have come to terms with the fact that cooking is not my gift.  I've even realized I'm not as much as a baker as I used to think I was - making the same cookies once a month doesn't exactly qualify me anymore.  But!  I would love my blog to be a source of help, be it in encouragement or in recipe offerings, and I feel like this recipe is too good not to share, especially with my fellow I-don't-like-being-in-the-kitchen friends.  You hard core chefs will probably find this recipe too simple, so feel free to chuckle softly at the fact that I'm excited about a recipe this easy.  Additionally, I did not invent this...yeah, right.  I got it from allrecipes.com.

Broccoli with Garlic Butter and Cashews (oh hey, my four favorite foods are broccoli, garlic, butter, and cashews!  Perfect...)

1.5 pounds broccoli cut into pieces (I don't know how much this is...and I buy broccoli that's already been cut.  Cheater, right here!)
1/3 cup butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free, if you're gluten-intolerant)
2 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced (The first time I made this, Bree had to tell me what cloves were, and show me how to peel them and mince them.  For others like me, here's help.)
1/3 c chopped cashews (or just leave them whole, like I do)

The recipe says to put the broccoli in a large pot with an inch of water and boil for seven minutes, but I just use my lovely Pampered Chef small micro-cooker and throw it in the microwave.  Again, I cheat.  Drain the broccoli and arrange on serving platter.  (I used a quiche dish, since it's shallow.)  While broccoli is cooking, melt butter in small skillet over medium heat.  Mix in brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, and garlic.  Bring to boil, then remove from heat.  Mix in cashews and pour sauce over broccoli.  Serve!

You can serve this as a side dish, but I like to throw it with some brown rice for a meal.  I've also added chicken before, and it was delish.  It's a pretty inexpensive, healthy, super quick meal that I've come to make over and over and over again.  Part of the reason I wanted to share it is because many other young wives like me are finding themselves a bit lost in the kitchen, so I figured, if you're like me, you could use another easy, fast, cheap recipe!  (And to all of you young wives who are rock stars in the kitchen, I sort of hate you a little bit.  Not really though.)  Luckily God blessed me with a husband who is impressed by and completely content with canned pasta sauce thrown over noodles, so it all works out.

And here's a picture.  Sorry I didn't take any photos while I was making it - I didn't plan on posting this until I had made it and realized I should share the wealth.  Happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. This is fabulous and I have everything the recipe calls for except white vinegar and cashews. Come to think of it, I might have a can of cashews a baseball player brought us from Hawaii....and all I need is the vinegar - WOW! I'm making this this week...so excited to throw something new on the table!

    And I know you for sure love me because I'm terrible in the kitchen. But two weeks ago I actually made a full dish I was completely impressed with! I made chicken parmigiana (never know if that is pronounced parmesan or not?) and it was super easy, but I did have all my veggies cut beforehand and did as much prep as possible. Robert LOVES chicken parmigiana with a passion and actually said it was the best he's ever had....and I kinda think I believe him because it was soo good! You should make it...and there's lots of extra sauce, so you can save it for something else later. Not sure what yet, but I'm planning on using it at some point! YAY!!

    Here's the recipe...I love the step-by-step with pictures...oh so helpful for me!

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/10/chicken-parmigiana/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...