Saturday, September 24, 2011

So Long, Facebook

Lately I've been feeling a little bit like I shouldn't keep my facebook account.  I do this from time to time - delete my account and then eventually start it up again after an absence of a few months or so.  I noticed that my blog updates in April and July were more frequent, and I want to make sure I'm blogging because writing is really important to me and I want to be writing as much as I can.  In April, I was blogging a lot because I'd given up facebook for lent.  In July, I didn't have a job, so I had a lot more free time.  I can't very well quit my job just to write my blog (much as I'd love to just live off of writing!) so I think the best decision is to stop with the facebook.

It all comes down to how much time I waste on facebook.  Sam and I found a really great church in Salem where the pastor speaks truth - no sugarcoating here - and a few weeks ago he spoke about the importance of stewardship.  I need to be a good steward of my money, yes, but I also need to be a good steward of my time, and facebook does not help me do that.  I know for some people it's not a big deal;  Sam, for example, goes weeks without really checking in.  But for me, it's a way to procrastinate, to put off doing things I really should be doing.  So what should I do?  Eliminate it from my life.

So...the only reason I'm really even writing about this is in case anyone finds my blog through facebook.  If you want to be updated when I post, you can sign up for the "follow by email" or you can become a follower.  And if you don't care to keep updated, that's fine too!  I'll keep writing even if no one reads it.  :)  Just thought I'd let you know, if there is anyone who happens to read when I put posts on facebook and cares to keep reading.

Also, random thing - I got an US magazine in the mail today - sent to Kimberly Swensen (not how you spell my name) and I have no idea how I got it.  I never signed up for it or paid for it.  Isn't that random?  Do magazines just send free issues now?  Or did someone sign me up and pay for a subscription to this magazine for me?  I have no idea.  So random.  I know that has nothing to do with the rest of my post, I just am still a bit baffled by it.

And...time for bed.

2 comments:

  1. Sadness to not see you on FB anymore.... =(

    Just make sure you keep posting pictures on your blog!!

    Miss you and hope sleeping was fabulous!

    JulieAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked your blog because I couldn't find you on facebook to tell you that I miss your face...a lot! I LOVE your blog, it is so you! I can pretend you are close by and we could hang out! I applaud your effort at stewarding your time, I am currently suffering from the same affliction but from Netflix/TV (Netflix is my TV). I am contemplating cancelling netflix (which may just make me switch from that to watching "Friends" all the time or getting rid of the TV all together, but that means no movie nights ever...hmm. I will pray for your stewardship if you pray for mine...just joshin' I'll pray for it in any case!

    Thanks for the blog, and thanks for being you!I am blessed by it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...