Tuesday, November 1, 2011

11.1.11

This day is really very sweet to me, for several reasons.  Here they are, organized in a nice list, though the list is in no particular order:

1. The numbers.  I just really like when numbers line up so beautifully, and 11.1.11 is just aesthetically pleasing, don't you think?  It's like make-a-wish-all-day.  (Does anyone else make wishes when it's 11:11, or 3:33 or whatever?  No?  You're all grown up adults?  Okay, moving on....)

2. It happens to be this girl's birthday.

Yes, she's the one on the right, and yes, I apparently used to be a blonde.  It is my cousin Erin's birthday today, and she's spending it in China where she lives with her husband.  So, maybe her birthday was actually yesterday there?  I don't know.  But it's November 1st in Oregon today, so that's when I celebrate Erin.  She and I have been soul mates for as long as I can remember - exchanging many "Best Friend" necklaces, making movies, playing Ditch 'Em, talking, laughing, arguing over song lyrics (both in Wizard of Oz and Moulin Rouge, and I'm ashamed to admit that both times Erin was right), and generally growing together.  She and I are different in a lot of ways but so alike in so many others.  She also loves animals, loves to dance, and has an amazing sense of humor.  We like to say that we're each others drug because we generally act insanely awesome when we're together.  Erin is wise beyond her years, brilliant (a philosopher), and asks questions that others don't dare to ask.  She admits she doesn't always know the answers, but really seeks understanding.  I love it that she's in China, being her adventurous, awesome self, but I really, really miss her.  And Erin, if you're reading this, Sam and I both want you guys to move to Oregon should you ever decide to return to the States.  And I have a few words for you.  Roxanne.  "Boy, that really scared me!"  And of course, happy birthday.

3. I had the day off today.  Last night was my first shift as a supervisor and it was a little stressful, especially because I've only been back with the company eight weeks and I never, ever close so I sort of had no idea what I was doing.  But last night was a success, thanks to my competent baristas, and with that off my shoulders I was able to relax today.

4. Halloween is over, which means I can start listening to Christmas music.  This album is on my wish list:
The She and Him Christmas album.  There is one She and Him song I cannot stand (Jacquie, you know the one I'm referring to), but I do love Zooey's voice and I do love Christmas.

5. Today this happened:
Starbucks came out with their red cups.  This marks the beginning of holiday season, which I love.  This will be my fifth holiday season with Starbucks, which is weird, but fun because Christmas is my favorite time to work for Starbucks.  Everyone is generally happy, it's really busy, and we get to play Christmas music.

I always love it when the red cups make their appearance, but this year it's a little bittersweet.  Sara loved the red cups.  Last year around this time, she was in Petaluma, and I got to spend an afternoon with her, Noreen and Woody.  We had lunch at the Himalayan Kabob and Curry House, walked around downtown, went to Powell's for candy, and I forgot my keys so the four of us were locked out of our house.  I just remember talking about how much we loved Starbucks Christmas cups and how we looked forward to them every year.  I wish she was here, and I wish we could go get coffee together, or candy, and I wish I could just talk to her.  One thing I know for sure is that every time I see those cups at work I'll think of Sara.  I'm so thankful for the reminders of her joy-filled life.  So thankful.  I just wish she were here. 

Overall, this day is a blessing and a gift.  Welcome, November.

3 comments:

  1. I miss hearing you sing Christmas songs. Can't wait to see you this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is what I have to say...first I love the number list, that is def. a memory of mine specifically of you LOL! And oh wow you are a shift supervisor!!!!!! Congrats. I miss the bux, but I miss you the most. and I love she and him now but I am sad they are getting a divorce. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful....and I always make a wish at 11:11!

    So thankful for Christmas music!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...