Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 6

You win some, you lose some.

Last night we had Chipotle for dinner, partly because I hadn't had time to go to the grocery store and partly because it sounded really yummy.  Sam got a burrito with black beans, rice, salsa, guacamole, corn, peppers, and onions, and I got the same thing but in a bowl form because of the flour tortilla.  We both kept saying how good it was and how full we felt after not even finishing our food.  (My leftovers lasted me through lunch and dinner today, too!)  Apparently cheese and sour cream is not required in a meal such as this, because it was wonderful without it.  I never would have known!  Chipotle will most definitely be added to our list of quick dinners when we don't have time to cook.  The lovely Venti's in Salem also has vegan fare, and a friend at work suggested I try Marco Polo, a restaurant downtown, which offers a vegan and gluten-free menu. Winning.

Tonight I tried a new recipe for a sweet and sour sauce.  It was not a success.  It just tasted like heated tomato juice.  Eh.  But that's what experiments are for - learning what works and what doesn't.  Lesson learned.

Today I made some rice pudding that was quite yummy!  I needed two teaspoons of raw sugar for the recipe and couldn't find any at Winco.  Not to be deterred, I headed to a certain coffee establishment that I happen to know carries this product.  I ordered a grande coffee (er, a medium) and just took a few too many sugar packets from the condiment bar.  No harm, no foul.

My friend Laura asked me to go into a bit more detail about what being vegan really means.  Basically you just avoid anything made with animal products, which includes all forms of meat, dairy, and eggs.  Sam and I are doing a completely vegan diet for these 21 days, but after that I will go toward a "mostly" vegan diet.  That means I just want to be a lot more purposeful about what I eat, avoiding cheese, milk, and eggs as much as possible, though I will probably indulge on a treat like frozen yogurt once in awhile.  I'm fairly certain I will never eat meat again, which won't be too difficult for me.  I've never really had a huge appetite for it (with the exception of tri-tip sandwiches from Porter Street BBQ in Porterville).

I found this list of substitutes for baking without oil - not sure what works in different recipes, but these are ideas from The McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook:

Carbonated water
Applesauce
Mashed bananas
Mashed potatoes
Silken tofu
Wonderslim
Pureed prunes
Baby food

I haven't tried any of them yet, but I'll let you know if and when I do!

I just asked Sam how he was doing with it, and he said he feels really good!  He also said, "It's really pretty easy."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...