Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Eating and Snowing

Week two didn't go quite as well as week one.  I still haven't eaten any animal products, but I have learned a few things.

First of all, it is very important to plan.  Sam and I both leave for work around noon and don't get home till 9:30pm, so I have to do all the food preparation in the morning.  Work was extra busy this week, which didn't leave as much time for grocery shopping.  Also, this happened:


The snow made going to the grocery store a bit difficult for the past three days.  Luckily it stopped snowing by the time I had to go to work, but I wasn't able to drive in the mornings.  We live up on a hill and Sam wasn't crazy about me risking anything in the snow.  He wasn't as much worried about me as he was about other cars running into me.  This may have to do with the fact that I got rear-ended a few weeks ago on an early morning trip to the store, and Sam woke up to a phone call of me crying and saying I'd been hit by a car.  When he arrived at the scene there was a fire truck there, so he freaked a bit.  Naturally, he's been a little extra protective lately.

Between working a lot and the snow, there wasn't a whole lot I could do about food.  When I did have a second to run to the store, I just grabbed a few essentials I knew we'd need.  Consequently, last week our menu was a little boring and I think it made us both want to eat some different food.  Today I finally got to go grocery shopping for real and made Sam a portobello mushroom hamburger with hummus, spicy brown mustard, grilled onions, and tomatoes.  I couldn't have any because of the wheat in the bun, but Sam assured me it was delicious.  I think as long as we can keep having fun with trying different recipes, we can keep this up.

That's the other thing I've learned; Sam and I both really like all the foods that correspond with a vegan lifestyle.  As I've said before, I'm obsessed with curry and other types of Indian and Asian-inspired dishes, which make it easier to eat vegan.  We also both really like veggies - peppers, mushrooms, onions, sweet potatoes, zucchini, and asparagus in particular.  I know a lot of people don't care for these foods, so I totally understand the hesitation in adopting a vegan diet.  As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of meat anyway, so that part was easy for me.  However, I love, love, love ice cream, frozen yogurt, and cheese!  If anyone knows me well, they know I used to eat ice cream every day.  So I do really miss ice cream sometimes (especially when I got some Cold Stone gift certificates in the mail from Kris!) but whenever I am tempted I just think about all I've read regarding dairy foods and it isn't quite as tempting.  But as I've said before, after the three weeks are up, I'll probably indulge in ice cream once in awhile, just not nearly as much as I used to.  (And Kristy, Sam and I got some yummy strawberry-banana-mango sorbet with marionberries mixed in from Cold Stone!  Delish!)

I've also learned that just because something is vegan does not mean it is a healthy meal.  I may or may not have just had chips and guacamole and a few handfuls of cashews for dinner last week.  Not exactly a well-rounded meal.  I won't be making that mistake again.  Also, for some reason I thought that because I was eating better, I could forgo working out.  That was also not a good idea.  When I finally went back to the gym I had a lot more energy at work.  Lesson learned: being healthy involves a clean diet and exercise.  Duh.

And on an unrelated note, I learned I don't mind the snow as much as I thought.  For a little while right after high school I lived in the snow and completely hated it, but this time around it was actually a bit fun, albeit inconvenient.  A few of my customers assumed that because I am from California, I had never seen snow.  Seriously.  For anyone who was unsure, I just want to say that it does, in fact, snow in California, even so much that lots of people ski and snowboard there.  And sure, laugh at me when I admit I don't know how to drive in the snow.  It's only fair because I laughed at you when you were complaining of the "hot" ninety degree weather in the summer.  Ninety would make for a pleasant day in July in Porterville.

:)

1 comment:

  1. Oh this post is so great!!

    The photos are amazing and while I do enjoy the sunshine the Santa Barbara continues to provide almost every day of the year (except June...so weird!), I am totally jealous that you get to curl up on the couch with coffee/tea, a warm blanket and a good book. Oh man, that must be sooo cool! Though I'm sure the driving and grocery shopping is not the easiest in the snow -- guess that means more snuggle dates with Sam! =)

    I think Robert would love the mushroom burger. He grilles full mushrooms on a pretty consistent basis and is always looking for new things to do with them! And we have been buying so many more veggies and cooking them and they are awesome. I've always been a fan of broccoli, asparagus, bell peppers, onion, green beans, etc., but recently we've added zucchini to the mix and I like it! We just cook them on the stove with some olive oil...is that what you do? Or I'll steam the broccoli or cook the asparagus with some olive oil in the oven. Does this sound legit?
    Anyway - I'm so thrilled you have snow! Even though the sun is out here, our house tends to always, always be freezing and I'm not even kidding. We just bought the tiniest space heater ever, but it is pointed directly and me and I love it. Those things cost like $60-$300....insane! Ours was $20...we'll see how long it lasts! =)
    Okay, miss you and smile at the snow for me!

    JulieAnn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...