Monday, January 9, 2012

Portland



I sort of love Portland.  And by sort of I mean totally.

I went to Vita Cafe in Portland yesterday with my cousin, Janna.  With the help of our patient waitress, I decided on the NW Corn Cakes, made with hazelnuts and served with organic maple syrup.  It was hard for me to decide what to get because most of their menu is gluten-free and vegan.  Amazing.  I ordered a single corn cake, fortunately, because that single cake took up my entire plate.  It was sweet, and slightly crunchy, sort of like the sweet corn cake often served at Mexican restaurants but in a pancake-style.  I would have taken a picture, but even Sam gets embarrassed when I whip out my camera to record my food at restaurants, and I didn't want to do that to Janna.  If I could eat at Vita every day for every meal, there wouldn't be a single problem with remaining vegan forever.  I promised Sam I'd take him there soon, mostly because I'm dying to try the rice and currants porridge.

Long after we finished eating, Janna and I sipped the strong coffee and talked about resolutions, writing, and how we are decidedly not hipsters.  Our poor waitress kept walking by, slyly checking to see if we had even glanced at the check yet while the popular cafe filled up with Sunday brunch crowd.  We hadn't.  There was just too much to discuss.  We're very much alike; both passionate about reading and writing, both sarcastic, and we both love lists.  We also enjoy talking.  A lot.

Janna is living my dream life right now.  After all, she lives in Portland in an adorable older house filled with character and a claw-foot bathtub, she gets paid to write, and she has sweet twin boys, who have always been very well-behaved around me.  This morning they greeted me with some meows, and Janna explained that they like to pretend they are cats.  Dear Lord, if I ever have children please let them pretend they are cats and meow at me all day.  Pretty sure I could handle being a mother if that were the case.  However, I don't know if twin boys would be good for me and Sam - my funny husband has decided that if we ever have twin boys we will name them Jenson and Benson.  Swenson.  Ha ha.

After breakfast I walked around downtown Portland and tried to imagine what it would be like to live there.  Maybe I'd work here:

 

It sounds wonderful to live in one of the cute little neighborhoods, where Sam and I could get to know our neighbors, and walk or bike to the grocery store, the gym, or to work.  Sort of like the small-town feel with the city conveniences.  But I don't think I could ever get used to crossing the street when I have a red hand telling me not to.  It drives Sam crazy, but I am such a rule-follower that I refuse to cross the street until I have a green light, even if there are no cars in sight.  Today people kept brushing past me, not even waiting for the light, while I stubbornly stayed on the sidewalk.

Still, it's a pretty awesome place.


Yeah, I could see myself here.  Right?

I was trying to get a picture of the mountain behind me.  You can barely see it in the photo, but it was such a clear day that you could easily see it in person.  Sunny, gorgeous Sunday in Portland.  When I got back to Salem, this is what I was greeted with:


Fog, fog, fog.  Literally as I left Portland, I drove right into a huge cloud cover, and all the way home it was like this.  Of course.

Portland, even if I never call you home, I'm thankful you're close enough to visit.  I'll be back soon for the company, the sunshine, and the delish vegan food.  Delish vegan food!

8 comments:

  1. I can only imagine you two together!! I bet the waitress went home with some stories about the two girls who wouldn't quit talking and leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww, I love this post!

    Dude, that coffee was STRONG! I don't normally tip over water glasses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, have you seen the show Portlandia with Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein? They have it on Netflix streaming and I think it's on Hulu too. Some of their sketches are pretty funny, but some of them are really lame. Anyways, thought you might be interested :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Carissa, I've seen a few of their sketches! My favorite is the one where they demand to know more about the food they're eating and if the chicken had friends and whatnot. :)

      Delete
  4. So much fun!! When we come visit you, can you also take us to Portland?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me want to go to Oregon, but more than ever it make me want to hang out with my kindred spirit, Kimber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this?! The Kimber makes me think of Harrell...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...