Thursday, February 2, 2012

Visit

Bree came to visit.  We ate a lot of food, we drank a lot of coffee, we talked about books, and we laughed a lot, especially after taking hilarious pictures.  This is why I like Bree.
We walked across the bridge to West Salem.
I tried to convince Bree to go sit on the bench in the park.  Yes, Salem has experienced some flooding recently.  Can you see the bench half immersed in water?

We stopped by Ike Box for the best soy chai I've ever had.  Bree got a vegan chocolate cookie.
We stuffed our faces at Venti's with their amazing sweet potato fries with coconut dipping sauce and honey drizzled on top.  Favorite.
We each ate our own bag of popcorn while we watched Midnight in Paris.  We both really love popcorn, and we used to do this all the time when we were roommates.  Speaking of Midnight in Paris, I highly recommend it.  I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, but this one was especially inspiring, and fun for anyone who enjoys literature, since a lot of the characters were writers like Fitzgerald and Hemingway.  It just made me want to write!  And for the first time, it actually made me want to go to Paris.

Morty jumped on Bree's lap and totally made her night.  I must admit, I love having people around who love kitties as much as I do.  Bree was taking pictures of them and ignoring me to play with them half the time, which made me happy.  It's almost like when someone likes your kids as much as you do, since right now, my kitties are the closest thing I have to kids.
We wanted to get a picture with her red jacket and my red pants.  And, of course, Morty and Willow.

On Tuesday we made our way to Portland.  Our first stop was this place.
Bree got the Northwest corn cakes, and I had the brown rice porridge with currants and coconut sauce, with a corn muffin.  Seriously, if anyone tries the food from Vita, you wouldn't think gluten-free or vegan would be difficult because it's some of the best breakfast I've ever had!  It's right up there with Howard's.  (Oh, Howard's.)
We strolled down Alberta Street, then made our way downtown.  We were headed to Powell's Bookstore when we saw this really incredible elephant.
Ah, Powell's.  Every book lover should visit.  Bree and I could have gotten lost in there, or spent the entire day in there.  We literally made ourselves leave.  So many books!  So many used books, which is delightful.  I love wondering who owned a book before I did, and the paths it crossed before making its way into my hands.
Bree was stoked about her purchases.  I can't remember if that's Dostoyevski or Hugo she's holding in the picture.  I got a copy of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and I finally bought myself a copy of Les Miserables.  The day before, I bought Jane Eyre and another book by Mark Twain from a used bookstore in Salem.  Yes, basically food, coffee, and used bookstores are all it takes to make me and Bree happy.
Speaking of coffee, we stopped by Public Domain for some amazing hand-crafted beverages.  One of my coworkers at Starbucks always raves about it, and since Bree has never had a cappuccino as good as the ones she had in Italy, we thought we'd give it a shot.  (Haha, pardon the pun.)
We decided to go down by the water and frolic on the grass. 
Bree was much better at frolicking than I was.  See?
I never feel quite so ungraceful as when I'm with Bree.
Next we went to Departure for happy hour.  Departure is a restaurant at The Nines hotel, with great sushi and drinks.  Sam and I went there once with our friends Greg and Savannah, which is how I knew about it.
 The bathrooms at the restaurant looked like a spaceship to me and Bree, so we decided to have a little photo shoot, because that is completely normal.
My face in this last one is because we heard someone coming in the door.  And yes, taking pictures of ourselves in the bathroom mirror is slightly embarrassing and I didn't want to get caught.

It was so much fun having Bree visit.  We talked a lot about reading and books, and she inspired me to be a lot more diligent about reading and keeping track of what I read.  And it made me realize how much I love being a hostess and having guests.  Seriously, if anyone wants to come visit, we would love to have you.  (Super excited for James and Monica to come in April!)  It also made me really thankful for friendship, and the fact that Bree lives only four short hours away.

And now I plan to go to the gym and work off the mounds of food we consumed.

9 comments:

  1. yay! looks like so much fun! that used book store is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, how creepy. it originally posted as "unknown"

      Delete
    2. super creepy. i'm glad you clarified who that was. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time! Your kitties are so big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you two are adorable! Love the pics - love the adventure! Glad you had fun in Portland and it didn't rain on you - booyah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it started to rain right when we got to our car. it was as if the rain was waiting for us to be done walking around. totally awesome.

      Delete
  4. I love how happy your photos look -- you two make life look so effortless! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. life on vacation should look effortless, JA! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...