Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Banjo





Yep, that's me.  With a banjo.


My very own banjo.


Thanks for the early birthday present, Samuel.


I have no idea how Sam knew that a banjo would be the perfect birthday present.  Perhaps over the years he's overheard me tell people that I want to learn to play the banjo.  Perhaps he knows how much I love old country music and bluegrass.  Perhaps he's heard me remind him over and over never to waste his money on jewelry for me.  (Not that there's anything wrong with jewelry, I  just don't wear it often and would rather have something I can use.)  Perhaps he heard me say, "I want a banjo for my birthday!" about a hundred times over the past couple months.


I really don't know how he figured it out.  But I'm so glad he did.


Seriously though, I love my banjo.  It's a lovely vintage piece of art - simply beautiful.  I started playing yesterday and I'm not good yet, not at all.  But I'm excited to practice and learn and start picking my way through "Wildwood Flower."  Maybe I'll even put up a video when I'm actually decent and my stumbling fingers can make something that sort of resembles music.


Thanks, Samuel.  Now get out your guitar and let's start pretending we're Johnny and June, only I have a banjo instead of an auto harp.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...