Saturday, September 8, 2012

On How I Know I Picked the Right Major

My major is English, with an emphasis in Creative Writing.  I think it's the right choice for me.

I had a professor who tried to convince me to switch to English Literature since he said I was actually good at literary analysis; but alas, I don't have as much fun writing about other writers as I do writing my own stuff.  Also, it's much easier to get a job with a Creative Writing degree than as an English Lit major.

Ha.  Obviously I'm joking.  This girl has no unrealistic notions about a plethora of jobs awaiting writers.

I'm taking Shakespeare right now, which I love, and an internet technology class.  This technology class is required for all students - I would never voluntarily sign up for it.  It's only five days into school and I hate this class.

Hate.

I love my Shakespeare class.  My fellow English students are awesome, naturally.  Clever, witty, funny, insightful.  My professor, who records his lectures on podcasts, is highly entertaining.  The first podcast began with the musical introduction to "Officer Krupke," which I immediately recognized and subsequently began singing along to.  I found the lecture interesting, entertaining, humorous, and enjoyable.  I can't wait to start reading for this class, and learning more of Shakespeare's brilliance.

My technology course is not fun.

I tried logging in to the stupid course, using a code that was mailed to me.  This code, consisting of thirty characters, cost me $160.  Contrast that price with the cost of the requirements for my Shakespeare course: free.  My professor just said we need access to several plays, and I happen to own the entire works of Shakespeare.  (I asked for it as a nineteenth birthday present.  Yes, Shakespeare, I love you long time.)

So...$160 for a stupid code that gave me access to a stupid online book filled with soundbytes I have to listen to.  The speaker on the soundbytes is completely monotone, and talks about things like binary.  If any of you struggle with insomnia, I will happily send you the code so you can listen to these soundbytes, which are sure to put you to sleep.  But you will have to pay me $160 to email you 30 digits, which I'm told is actually 30 bytes.  Interesting, right?  I didn't think so either.

Anyway, as I tried logging on to the computer, I could not log on.  I kept getting stupid error messages.  (I know what you're thinking - I desperately need this class.  This is true.)  But wouldn't the creators of the online book try to make it easy to log onto a technology course designed for people who know nothing about technology?  Nope.  They made it way more confusing than my English class.  I finally clicked the "Help" icon, and the first thing I heard was, "It's easy logging on to My IT Lab!"  Excuse me?  Easy for who?

I'm not going to lie.  I flipped off the computer.  With both hands.

Finally I logged onto the stupid class (not easily, thank you very much) and began falling asleep.  To distract myself, I tried knitting, then I began to eat candy corn, and finally I watched the clouds roll by.  Literally.  See?



Needless to say, I have a tummy ache from too much candy, I ran out of yarn because I was knitting so much, and I am desperately hoping this class gets better as time goes on.

All this leads me to believe that I'm positive I've chosen the right major.  The fact that I get so excited about English classes, that I cannot wait to do the homework for them, shows me that I'm in the right spot.  And no, I have no future in computer programming or any other type of technology.  I will put up with the next seven weeks of class, and maybe I'll even learn how to do cool things with my blog.  But I'm not a fan of this dumb class.  I don't enjoy discussing bytes, CPUs and motherboards.

(However, the mention of motherboard did remind me of "motherboy" on Arrested Development, which reminded me how happy I am that they are making more episodes.  Then I thought how sad it is that Will Arnett and Amy Pohler are divorcing.  Then it made me want to watch Arrested Development and Parks and Rec simultaneously.)

See how much I'm learning?

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome and I'm so glad Sam married you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...