Sunday, September 16, 2012

On School...and Old School

I am very grateful to be in school right now.  After not being able to attend school for a year, it feels great to finally feel like I'm making progress again.  I know higher education is a privilege and a luxury, so overall I'm thankful I can attend school and pursue my degree.

My Shakespeare class is still going well; in fact, I managed to work Friends references into an online discussion, and my professor and another student and I began describing and quoting favorite scenes from the show.  It was awesome.

I'm trying to have a good attitude about my IT class, but most of the time I hate it.  Today I actually told Sam that I didn't care about my grade as long as I passed, meaning I'd be fine with a "C".  I've never been fine with a "C".  I've never been fine with anything less than an "A".  Apparently this class will finally break through my perfectionist-overachieving-student attitude.  (My college advisor would be so proud!)  The good news is I only have six weeks left of the class and then I'll never have to think about it again!

Also, I'm going to vent for a moment.  Why do people automatically shorten names?  I introduce myself as Kimberly, and people call me Kim.  In my online class my name is clearly written as Kimberly, and yet people respond to my posts by calling me Kim.  (So far this has only happened in the IT class, not Shakespeare, which is another reason I dislike IT.)  Consequently I've decided that I will start calling everyone by just the first syllable of their name.  Is your name Brenda?  I'm calling you Brend.  Is your name Andrew?  I'm calling you And.  Is your name Lisa?  I'm calling you Li.  Sorry people, it's only fair this way.  Apparently "Kim-ber-ly" is wayyyy too long to say or type, so I'm shortening everyone's names so I can be just as lazy.

The good news is that I had the weekend off - my very first weekend off!  It was lovely!  The only bad part was that I woke up at 4:30 on Saturday, wide awake and completely unable to go back to sleep.  This morning I woke up at 6:15, again wide awake.  Maybe someday my body will realize it can sleep a little longer.

And here are just a few fun pictures from the weekend.  I had a more interesting post planned, but my brain has decided to stop cooperating after reading for two hours about HTML.  Sorry.

Yesterday Sam and I made banana pancakes with coconut syrup.  YUM!!! Gluten-free pancakes aren't as good, but it's still nice to be able to eat pancakes sometimes.  I grew up with pancakes every Saturday morning, a tradition I'm determined to continue when Sam and I have kids.  


I spent the morning going through old photos (and you'll find out why tomorrow), but I ran across this fun one.  Apparently I was way ahead of the chambray trend.  In fact, I'm guessing I was maybe ten in this picture, which means I rocked this style seventeen years ago.  Who knew I was so fashionable?


And here I am looking really cool practicing my saxophone.  Remember, band was cool!


And now I'm going to work on tomorrow's blog because I've been lagging in my goal of five posts a week...oops.  Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Since my full name is Theodore, does that mean you will call me The?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if i called you by your first name, then yes. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...