Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Things I Wish I Knew

These are the things I wish I knew before being pregnant.  Now, to be fair, even though I have lots of friends and family with babies, I never really asked much about pregnancy because it terrified me.  I didn't want to know what happened.  So I really knew very little about pregnancy before actually getting pregnant myself.  This is what I've learned...

I wish I knew that once you find out you're pregnant, God seems to pour molasses into the giant clock of life that immediately slows time wayyy down.  Seriously, from the moment I found out I was pregnant at about 5 weeks, until my first doctor appointment a month later, time seemed to move at a snail's pace.  And not to mention how long it takes to get through the first trimester - those weeks were the longest of my life!  I thought time went by slowly when I was engaged, but I had no idea how slowly time could move.  And from what I hear, time will move even slower if I'm overdue.

I also wish I knew that upon discovering a pregnancy, there is a huge blob of worry and fear that suddenly settles over your head.  So far I haven't been scared at all of actually being a mom, but in the beginning, I constantly worried about the health and safety of the baby, and feared that something might happen to this little one before I got to meet him/her.  I've finally found a peace about it all, but it took lots and lots of prayer and reassurance, and constant reminders that I have absolutely no control over it.  It didn't help that I'm one of those people that assumes bad things will happen to me if I hear stories from someone else.  (When I was little, if I heard about a little girl being kidnapped, I automatically assumed I'd be kidnapped as well.)  So if you have any stories of miscarriage, still births, preterm births, or any very tragic, sad stories about babies, do me a favor and don't share them with me right now.  (You'll also be doing yourself a favor, because I might punch you.  Don't blame me, it's the hormones.)

And I wish I knew that the pregnancy "glow" is just code for a speckled face of red spots.  My face hasn't looked like this since I was a teenager.  Thanks, hormones.

Another thing I didn't know is how great Sam would be as a partner through it all.  He's very caring and helpful and is always asking what I need from him.  Unfortunately, he doesn't think pregnancy equals my being right all the time, or that hormones give me the right to be a brat.  Whenever we get into a disagreement, I just want him to say, "You're right honey, can I get you some ice cream?"  Instead he reminds me that I need to eat broccoli and stuff.  Still, he's been pretty amazing.

And here's a random story for you, to make this post even longer.  Well over a year ago, I had asked Sam if we could name any future daughter Cosette or Eponine.  He said he didn't like Eponine and Cosette sounded like a French whore's name.  (That was before I took him to see Les Mis and he learned that it's actually Fantine who is the working girl.)  Anyway, now that we're having a baby, I brought up the name idea again, and Sam again denied me.  (Who says no to a pregnant lady?)  He said, "Plus, since the movie is coming out, there will probably be a ton of people that name their kid Cosette now, and that's exactly what you don't want."  And it's true - I don't want my kid to have a very popular or trendy name.  When I realized he was right and the dream I'd had since third grade was dead, I was mad at all the people who will name their daughters Cosette because of the movie, and I said, "I will hate all those baby Cosettes."  Yeah...my temper and irrational thinking isn't helped by pregnancy hormones, either.

And, for funsies, here's me at 16 weeks and at 16.5 weeks. 



8 comments:

  1. I am an irrational pregnant woman too. Though you'll find that after having a baby you can still be quite irrational. After every baby we've had I will swear that I'm pregnant again already and FREAK out. This time around it's enhanced by Kayla constantly telling me there is a baby brother in there now and praying for him nonstop. I go through an awful lot of pregnancy tests in my current not-totally-rational frame of mind. You are such a cute pregnant lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, good to know the irrational moments continue after baby is born! so funny about kayla, too!

      Delete
  2. Keep the wisdom coming! I am one of those who is not pregnant yet, and I certainly will take all the wisdom and advice about being pregnant before I actually am with child. Also, you look SO stinkin' adorable with your little baby belly. I'm just so happy, happy, happy, happy, happy for you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully you'll be more rational/less afraid when you're pregnant! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, I've been away from blogger too long. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, friend! pretty excited over here. :)

      Delete
  4. I can't get over the growth spirt in two wks...you are moving right along!

    I'm so happy for you to have such a caring, sensitive, and helpful husband! But I also like your attitude when he says something you may not want to hear; and yet you know deep inside he's right. That's a great quality to have!

    I rarely guess what people are going to have; but for some reason when I first heard you were pregnant, I felt you would have a boy...I'm excited to hear what li'l baby is preparing to meet mommy and daddy!

    Take good care, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, patsy! i haven't felt any boy or girl "feelings" yet, so i'm totally clueless as to which it will be! maybe it'll be a boy, hopefully we'll find out soon. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...